may is national physical fitness and sports month
National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
Why should I exercise?
- Helps prevent disease
- Improves stamina
- Strengthens and tones
- Enhances flexibility
- Controls weight
- Improves quality of life
- Maintains immune function
- Reduces body fat
- Boosts energy
- Brings about better sleep
- Improves mood
- Reduces absenteeism
- Lowers anxiety
- To have fun!
National Health Awareness Month
- Take the Stigma Free Pledge
- Educate yourself and others on mental illness
- Reject stigmatizing stereotypes
- See the person for who they are and not their illness
- Have empathy and compassion
- Take a stand and be Stigma Free
Rethink Your Drink
Consider these enjoyable, healthier alternatives to drink:
Lemon Water, Green Tea, Mint Tea, Reduced Fat Milk, Soy milk, Hot chocolate, Low sodium tomato juice, Cranberry juice, Orange juice, Coconut Water
Let’s make the workplace a healthier space!
Incorporate these activities into your daily routine:
- Stretch once every single hour
- Adjust your sight and focus on objects further away
- Take deep breaths
- Implement walking meetings with coworkers
- Get a good night of rest!
Top Foods that Lower Your Blood Pressure:
Beans, Pork, Plain yogurt, Tilapia, Kiwi Peaches, Bananas, Kale, Spinach, Red bell peppers, Broccoli, Sweet potatoes, Quinoa, Avocado, Skim milk, and Dark chocolate
Excited for Memorial Day?
Try these healthier cookout alternatives! Veggie, Turkey or Bison burger instead of a cheese burger, Green Bean Potato Salad with Herb Dressing instead of regular potato salad, Vinegar based coleslaw instead of a creamy coleslaw, Lean pork instead of barbeque ribs, Chicken hotdogs instead of pork hotdogs, Sweet potato fries instead of French fries, Fruit skewers instead of cookies and brownies. Try kale or zucchini chips instead of potato chips, and Flavored water or seltzer instead of soda.
Working hard to get that summer body?
Try this 20 minute fat-blasting workout! Round 1: repeat 4 times
- Butt kickers, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
- Dumbbell squat to dumbbell press: 20 seconds on 10 seconds off Round 2: repeat 4 times
- High knees: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
- Pushups: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off Round 3: repeat 4 times
- Burpees: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
- Sit-ups: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off Round 4: repeat 4 times
- Jumping jacks: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
- Plank: 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off
Green Bean Potato Salad with Herb Dressing
Ingredients 3 red potatoes ½ lb fresh green beans 8 bacon strips Dressing: ¼ cup olive oil ¼ cup chopped green onions 3 tbsp white wine vinegar 2 tbsp minced parsley 1 minced garlic clove ½ tsp salt ½ tsp ground mustard ¼ tsp dried basil ¼ tsp dried tarragon Pepper to taste Preparation Place potatoes in a large sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 mins Meanwhile, place beans in saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and slice potatoes. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, beans and bacon. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine dressing ingredients; shake well. Pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. Serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Enjoy!